Wednesday 25 March 2009

a mobile, a brooch and a papier mache frame...or the importance of fragile things


Work in progress. I am experimenting with lots of new techiques right now, papier mache, freezer paper stencils and circular fabric mobiles. All these hand sewn as my darling sewing machine is kaput for the time being! I have been thinking about the reason why it is so important and fulfilling for me to make things lately. Apart from the fact that it keeps me sane in the way that a new mother doesnt want to lose her identity and 'just' be a mother (although I find being a mother wonderful and a privilege), making dolls and cute delicate things is a way of exploring notions of childhood and fragility. I like things that look broken and defective, where something has gone wrong but can still be seen as beautiful. Everything is meaningful, look beyond the obvious... x

2 comments:

  1. Psychology in papier mache -- very interesting ;D I like the soft feel of your new creations, and I'm looking forward to seeing what else you'll soon come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great post, I too like things that look broken and defective, it challenges me to make something with it, give it new life!
    Love your blog, off to visit your etsy too!
    Magic and Joy!
    Lisa!

    P.S. Some of the dollie stuff is available!

    Magic and Joy!
    Lisa!

    ReplyDelete